Many phone calls and new appointments occur in the month of November due to Parent Teacher Conferences-
Mama’s like you with a broken heart and anxious mind trying to learn if there is anything else than can be done for their child –
Because you are being told at your conferences that there is something wrong with your child. That gosh – maybe – they have ADD or ADHD- Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder-and sometimes spoken and sometimes unspoken suggestions of “going on medications” is advised.
Unfortunately many families hear these words which are then reinforced by some pediatricians and children are often put on unnecessary and harmful drugs.
1 in 10 kids in the US will be diagnosed with ADHD THIS YEAR.
Did you know?
- There is no single definitive diagnostic test for ADHD even though it has been studied for over 20 years and now an American Epidemic.
- Diagnosis of ADHD may be obtained in a mere 20 minutes with questionnaire!
What is ADHD? Look below at the DSM-5 criteria – sound like you? just kidding. To me it sounds a bit like childhood.
Many start their day off with a sugar filled breakfast, sit in artificial light and are told not to move around, get very little outdoor time and consume artificial colors and glyphosate in their lunch. We diagnosed them with with a disorder just to put them on harmful drugs. Does this make sense to anyone?
Yes – the treatment is a very strong and harmful drug.
- Research shows stimulants help anyone focus whether or not they have symptoms of ADHD therefore may help short term
- Side effects: insomnia, decrease appetite, heart problems and effects on child’s personality
- Long term: addiction, insomnia, depression and the list goes on and on
- Classified among the most addictive drugs in the medical pharmacopeia
Who benefits from taking these “ADHD” Drugs?
- 95 out of 170 DSM-IV panel members had one or more financial tie with the drug companies that make the Amphetamine drugs used for ADD/ADHD
So the individuals who make the criteria for what ADHD is has financial ties to the drugs that help the diagnosis.
A DISEASE CALLED CHILDHOOD
- Our societies perspective of childhood has changed
- By nature young children have a lot of energy
- Children are impulsive, physically active and have trouble sitting still and don’t pay attention for very long and blurt out questions
- United States a child is 60x more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD than a child in Finland and 6x per than any other country
- Kids with good grades and attention are “mentally healthy” and anything outside of that gets a diagnosis of a DSM-5 mental disorder
So is there a HOLISTIC APPROACH to these group of symptoms? I look at the WHOLE CHILD and address their:
- Movement/ Outdoor time
- Major Changes in life
I use my clinical skills, time with family and blend of conventional and integrative tests to find the root cause of the symptoms. These are some common root causes
- Magnesium deficiency
- Iron deficiency (checked with ferritin)
- B6 deficiency
- Assessment of copper and zinc
- Food sensitivities
- Nutritional Deficiency – macro nutrients
- Sleep disorders
- Hearing disorders
- Dysbiosis – Leaky gut
- Major life changes (moving, death)
- Candidiasis / Yeast
- Carnitine Deficiency
- Parenting – divorce – separation – yelling
Children can be overactive and impulsive for any number of reasons, we can avoid reducing their behavior to a simplistic diagnosis of ADHD and treat with harmful amphetamines without addressing the root cause.
Yes- there are always exceptions to the rules.
My advice: explore all possible causes of your childs behavior before you put them on harmful medications.
In the past I have done a webinar on this topic – if you are interested in another webinar please email me back 🙂
Have a beautiful weekend.